Saturday, August 22, 2009

Novel Travels: A Year in Provence

Did you know there are very few books that start with "Y"? Many start with You and Your and many also start with Year or Years. None of them fall into the category of a novel or travel literature, more like self-help.

Yes, I wrote about Peter Mayle so using A Year in Provence for my "Y" entry is redundant. My blog, my thoughts. Here is a reading guide for A Year in Provence. Reading guides always make homework easier because they make you think through what you read. Everyone should do their homework before leaving on a trip. Not just the homework on transportation (how), accommodations, food, and sites, but the people, weather, and history. Which is why I like to read novels, it makes the homework easier and more enjoyable.

My first trip to Europe was with my high school history teacher, Mrs. Sue Rathburn. She was crazy with crazy curly hair and bright red lipstick. Mrs. Rathburn was also enthusiastic and excited to show us (a group of about 15 students) everything. Right before we left, she gave us a packet of questions to answer before we left. None of us did it; we were teenagers and it was summer. Now I wish I had so I would have understood more about the history and people in London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Vienna, and Munich. Too late now. Guess I'll just have to return to those places. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment