Saturday, August 15, 2009

Novel Travels: Dr. Zhivago

A few weeks before I left for a cruise which stopped in Russia I tried to read Dr. Zhivago. I failed. Then I tried to watch the movie. I fell asleep. Twice. So when I return to Russia, I plan on reading this book. (And probably consulting the Sparknotes.)

The reason I'm including Dr. Zhivago, even though I've not read it, is because the Russians have adopted the music for tourist areas. Lara's Theme played on the bus and at restaurants. Musicians played the song. That's interesting to me because my copy of the book says it (the book) was banned in Russia when it was published. That's true, according to the Wiki page.

Honestly, when I return to Russia, I'll read Anna Karenina first, then Dr. Zhivago. I'd like to say I'll read War and Peace before leaving, but I have a life, no time, and there are several movie versions. Plus, I need a plane ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment