Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Novel Travels: Out of Africa

I've never been to Africa, but those who have been always end up visiting Karen Blixen/Isak Dinesen's farm in Kenya. Admittedly, I only know a small number of people. Out of Africa has touched people for generations.

OK, I'm only using Out of Africa because I need something with an O, I have a hungry son, and I want to collect lists of books about all the continents. Although I own a copy of the book--which I bought after someone described visiting Karen Blixen's farm--it's buried in my to-be-read-pile, still waiting to be read. My pile is taller than my nightstand. I have read, cried, and read devotionals on Babette's Feast, but that novel has nothing to do with Kenya.

The only other novel/book taking place in Africa that I recall reading is Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. Since I read it in college (English 101 essentially), I only recall that Achebe is Nigerian and I liked the novel.

It's very sad that I only have two books for an entire continent and I'm too tired tonight to do research to discover more books. I know they are out there. When I actually go, I will do my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment