Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bringing Baby Home: Vacation

V is for Vacation. We took a Baby Moon about six months before my son was born. It was wonderful visiting Barcelona and Madrid, getting over morning sickness, and spending time with my husband. We ate all kinds of food, walked around for hours, and visited museums. The whole time, I knew our vacations would never be the same. As soon as there were three of us, my husband and I could no longer be selfish. Even if the two of us went somewhere, we would still talk about our son. Heck, that vacation was before we knew it was a he and we were still talking about him.

Now, three months after my son was born, I need a vacation more than ever. Handing over my son to visitors is a mini vacay. While others coo at him, I run off to throw laundry in the washer, empty the dishwasher, and clean the toilet. That's not really a vacation or even a break.

Another mini vacation was when I slept in the guest room one night. I'd pumped so there was enough milk for the night and my husband answered all our son's calls. I slept all night, something I rarely did during pregnancy. It was almost ruined though when I woke up engorged and ready to burst. I sprinted to the bedroom ready to force the child to nurse. There was no need to force though, he was awake and my husband was out of milk.

We're taking a weekend vacation soon. It's really a trip to visit family. But it will give me a chance to see what future family vacations are like when it's no longer two of us: How much stuff to take, training my husband to take bathroom breaks on road trips, and coping with the unexpected. It's another adventure. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment