Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bringing Baby Home: Wipes

W is for wipes, lots and lots of wipes. In the first weeks, the average baby goes through 8 to 10 diapers a day and it stands to reason that they also go through 8 to 10 wipes a day. More if you are like me and accidentally grab two wipes while trying to hold down a squirming infant.

Since we use cloth diapers I thought it would be good to make our own wipes too. I cut up an old baby blanket and put them in an old plastic container (it used to hold lunch meat). In the beginning, I mixed a cup of water with a teaspoon of baby wash and a teaspoon of aloe vera extract/oil. Now I just kinda squeeze the wash and what's left of the extract/oil onto the cut up blanket and run some water on top. I only end up using these about half the time, mainly because the infant is larger and has bigger squirms.

I also have a stash of make-up remover towelettes in my diaper bag. Before I had children, I used them for the port-a-potties at soccer games, Austin City Limits Festival, camping, and for cycling trips. They appear to have most of the same ingredients as baby wipes and I figure they will work just as well. My son has not had diaper rash and does not seem to have sensitive skin. I'm lucky, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment