Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crafts: Blackwork on Anne Boleyn Quote

Blackwork: is embroidery stitched in a counted pattern using black thread. It was popular in the time of Henry VIII (thank you, Wikipedia). I'd never heard of it when I first started cross stitching but I had heard of Anne Boleyn and I liked free things. Thus, when I found a free cross stitch chart with a quote from Anne Boleyn's prayer book, I printed it out, got some black floss, and got stitching. Best I can tell, blackwork is fancy backstitching.


This was an easy cross stitch, in fact, I think the hardest part was when I wanted to make a pillow out of it and gave it to my mom, who broke her sewing machine (or something) and had to get more help. (Thank you for following through, mom.) I like the little Tudor flowers in the quote. I enjoyed this project enough to do more free blackwork charts and one of strawberries in red, the red makes it Scarletwork. Sadly, I think the company that put out the free chart above went under, since I can't find it no matter what I Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment