Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bringing Baby Home: Questions

Q is for Questions. Lots and lots of questions. Is it OK to let him sleep if he rolls to his side? Should I wake him to feed him? Why is he crying? Why isn't he crying? What color is his poop? Why are you making me track the color of his poop?

For new parents, bringing a baby home means there are suddenly thousands of questions popping up every hour. And usually, the answers are time, he/she is hungry/sleepy/dirty diaper, and every baby is different.

There are about five baby books in my house which I consulted daily for the first month and now, at 12 weeks, average about once every three days. One reason I look at the books less is because I look online more. Last night we were looking up growth spurts, again. Is 3 months another growth spurt? Why, why is he cluster feeding again? The answer? Sometimes, every baby is different. Grrrr.

The pediatrician can answer health questions, but it seems silly to bother her with certain things. Plus, her job is to take care of my baby's health, not his discipline or to help me get sleep. One more question: If there are lactation consultants, why aren't there sleep consultants?

No comments:

Post a Comment