Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pregnancy: Z is for ZZZZZZZZs

Z is for ZZZZZZZZs. Sleep is very important while pregnant. All I wanted to do the first trimester was sleep. This made it difficult to write my professional report (essentially my master's thesis) because I kept dozing off.

The second trimester was better, I had more energy, but I would still get home from working 9 to 2, eat lunch, and take a long nap. My last trimester I became a baby. I got up, ate breakfast, and went back to sleep for a couple of hours. If I did that, then I did not need an afternoon nap. If I did not go back to sleep, then I ended up sleeping for a few hours in the afternoon. Then I would not sleep at night.

Ah, sleeping at night, that was a dream (pun intended). I always took at least three trips to the bathroom, on a good night. During that last month (what I had of it), I found it impossible to get comfortable, my body just felt wrong and I was so very hot. Admittedly, it was one of the hottest Junes on record in Austin, Texas.

Getting enough sleep is important for health and especially important during pregnancy. It's ironic that it is difficult during the last month. My mother kept telling me it was my body's way of preparing for parenthood and the lack of sleep during the first months. Yes, she was right. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment