Monday, July 27, 2009

Novel Travels: In a Sunburned Country

At this point, I should explain my criteria for good travel reading.

1) It must give me a strong desire to visit a city, country, or region.
2) I must learn something about the area's (city, country, or region) history.
3) It must serve as a guidebook of sorts: I want to walk into a place saying something similar to "I need to visit this cathedral here on the map because it played a major role in the book and we need to look for a particular plaque on the wall. Also, we have to eat these cookies bought at this bakery because that is where the character met." In other words, the book must give me a list of places to visit, touristy and non-touristy places.

Although I've not been to Australia, I do have a small list of books on my travel-to-be-read list. I have read In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson, and it did give me a long list of places to visit, tips about the people, and a sense of history. And I learned that
Canberra is the capital and Australia plants and animals can kill you. I also got some tidbits about the Aborigines and the Outback.

One thing I don't recall being mentioned in the book is meat pies. My husband introduced me to meat pies at Boomerang's Pies here in Austin. I am hooked, the traditional beef pie is like my mother's meatloaf in a pie crust--and really, doesn't pie crust make everything better? So I am eager to visit Australia and taste their pies.

Here are four other books on my Australia list:

The Idea of Perfection
and The Secret River by Kate Grenville.
Oscar and Lucinda and True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey.

I would also reread the Australia sections of Collapse by Jared Diamond. And I would reread, um, The Pride of the Peacock by Victoria Holt--this book is 100% responsible for me wanting to mine opals and purchase opals in Australia. In fact, that book is already responsible for several opal purchases in my life. And for the purchase of some Black Opal wine. What can I say but that I was young, impressionable, and romantic when I read the book. Huh, guess I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment