Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Novel Travels: Jane Austen

Selecting a "J" novel was difficult (I can't think of any good travel ones and Jane Eyre does not have real travel destinations), so instead I decided to highlight Jane Austen.

Jane Austen lived from 1775 to 1817 and wrote novels filled with irony and wit. Her six major novels are among my favorites, in this order Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Emma, Northanger Abby, Sense and Sensibility, and Mansfield Park.

I have planned a trip to see Jane Austen sites, back when the internet was new and people still used telephone books. Should I start planning another trip, here are the websites I would visit to start planning:

Pemberley has a fabulous list of Jane Austen travel sites, from her life and from several of the movies. I would focus on Winchester, Bath, and the Jane Austen's House Museum at Chawton.

Starting with Chawton. Chawton is next to Alton, and because I played the French horn in high school, I would have to visit this pub: French Horn. But that's just me. I would also take this literary walk in the area around the house, visiting places Jane herself visited. In fact I have taken this walk and only got turned around once. I must also be a fast walked since it did not take me 4 1/2 hours.

Moving onto Bath. Bath is wonderful, lovely, and has great Georgian character. Visit the Roman Baths, the Pump Room, and the Crescent. Watch the 1995 Persuasion for ideas. Then go visit the Jane Austen Centre.

Jane passed away at 8 College Street in Winchester, noted by a blue plaque on the house. That's it, so it's not worth the effort to seek out. She is buried in Winchester Cathedral, in the north aisle of the nave.

That's my fantasy week of travel based on Jane Austen's life. For for ideas and inspiration, visit Jane Austen Today and Jane Austen's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment