Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oatmeal: Chocolate

C is for chocolate.
Oatmeal + Chocolate = Happy Morning.
Sometimes, when I make my morning oatmeal, I add a teaspoon of coco powder. If there are squares of unsweetened chocolate or chocolate chips hidden in the pantry, they go in too. No need to discuss the benefits of chocolate and no need to discuss the history: chocolate is good. Period.

C is for cashew butter.
Cashew butter is expensive. I put it in my oatmeal the one time I had some in the house. It was melty and mixed-in well, making a my oatmeal filling, savory, and buttery on my tongue.

C is for coffee.
I have never added brewed or instant coffee to my oatmeal. Now that Starbucks has Via flavors, I might have to try adding instant coffee into my morning oatmeal.

C is for Cinnamon.
Oatmeal with Cinnamon (and sugar) is like BP&J, a classic.

C is for Cinnamon and (ground) clove.
Just a touch of ground clove makes oatmeal and cinnamon into Christmas.

C is for Carob.
Something else I've yet to try, only because I would have to make an effort to get carob chips at Whole Foods.

C is for (grated) carrots.
Another ingredient I've not attempted to mix into my oatmeal. Add carrot, a few raisins, some cinnamon and maybe a dollop of cream cheese (c is for cream cheese!) and I would have carrot cake for breakfast.

C is for cranberries.
Dried or fresh cranberries with sweetener make morning colorful.

C is for cherries.
Dried or fresh. Pitted if fresh.

C is for coffee creamer.
Many, many years ago I lived alone and never bought milk because I never could finish a half gallon. So I got liquid vanilla or hazelnut flavored coffee creamer for my coffee. One day, I added a touch to my oatmeal. It was creamy, delicious, and took no effort. Then discovered soy milk lasts longer than regular milk and comes in flavors too. So I gave up my coffee creamer, which was probably for the best as coffee creamer is one of those food products with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients Michael Pollen says people should avoid ingesting.

C is for coconut.
Tomorrow, I may have to add coconut to my chocolate oatmeal, just to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment