Sunday, January 3, 2010

Homemade Baby Food: ABC

Honestly, I never expected to be someone who made their own baby food. I never intended to use cloth diapers either. For the diapers, it's just that I read a lot and listened to several podcasts and everyone made it seem so easy. And it is.

As for baby food, it suddenly seemed easy when my mother said she made my baby food. Her moment came when she saw the price for baby food bananas and decided she could mash her own.

So, I got an immersion blender and ice cube trays for Christmas and now have three bags of food in my freezer.

We did start my son off on rice and oatmeal. And we do use the 4 day wait rule for introducing new foods to my son. So we don't have a long list of foods that he has tasted/eaten.

A is for Avocado

Take a ripe avocado. Mash it. Maybe add some breast milk or formula, to make it a little creamier. Done.

Feed to eager baby. Expect stained clothes and bibs. Make yourself guacamole with leftover avocado (which, admittedly, is the whole reason to feed your baby avocado in the first place.)

B is for Banana

Cut banana in half. Mash with fork. Maybe add milk/formula. Done.

Feed to baby. Eat the rest of the banana yourself. Expect stained bib/clothes and very sticky, fibrous diapers. (Thank you, Dad, for the diaper sprayer. I really, really appreciate it.)

C is for Carrots

I should note that we always have a bag of baby carrots around the house. And I should confess that yes, I do know baby carrots are big carrots cut up. And yes, I do know it is cheaper to buy whole carrots and peel and cut them myself. But I just won't do that. I like that the baby carrots are cut up and I like having them around.

Steam baby carrots until tender. Allow to cool. Add a little water (but not water used to steam carrots--nitrates apparently). Blend. Pour into ice cube trays. Freeze. Pop out of trays. Place in bags. Label. Take out one cube at a time to defrost in fridge overnight.

I should also say thank you to the people who gave me some stage 2 baby food. I don't want you to think I am ungrateful, we've opened some of it already. And I'll break into it when introducing meats, since I am intimidated by cooking meat for me, the thought of cooking it for my son terrifies me.

Sources

Wholesomebabyfood: Best reference site about foods, includes recipes. Breaks down feeding by ages and foods and includes nutrition. Includes helpful info on freezing. Well-respected--most linked to from other sites.

Weelicious: A California Mother posts baby/toddler foods daily on her blog. Lists many sources and foods are broken down by ages. Does make me feel guilty for baking with sugar and using white rice. Some ingredients are hard to find without a trip to Whole Foods.

BabyFood101: Big database, lists ages and has recipes. I've not used it too much, yet.

Nurture Baby: Another mother's website/company. Has nutrition info. Seems better for toddlers.

Articles

Chow: Make Your Own Baby Food. A few basic recipes.

Gourmet: Bringing Up Baby. Read now before it disappears.

Seattle Examiner: How to Make Your Own Baby Food
.

Book

Top 100 Baby Purees. There are several other books out there, but this one gives cooking times, freezing suggestions, and has pictures. I like pictures in my cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment