Monday, June 29, 2009

Pregnancy: U is for Unprepared

U is for Unprepared. I've had 9 months to get ready for this little man yet I feel highly unprepared, like I packed shorts and tank tops for a trip to Australia in July.

I've washed and folded tiny clothes, read and earmarked dozens of books, and learned how to install a car seat. And I panic at the thought of weird things, like taking him outside without sunscreen because I don't have an infant sun hat.

Part of the reason I feel unprepared is because books and people's advice tend to conflict with each other. One book says introduce a bottle at two weeks, another four weeks, and a woman at La Leche League says absolutely never. One book says sunscreen should not be used under 6 months, another says that advice is old and it should be used from day one.

I've attended a La Leche League meeting, had childbirth classes with breathing exercises, and taken a child care class. I've watched The Happiest Baby on the Block and own Baby 411.

Declarative statement: I am prepared. I just pray that I don't have this child tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment